Intern Update

Intern Update: Allia Alliata

By Allia Alliata, Fall 2012 Intern

Interning this past Fall semester at the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center (APAC) has truly been a one of a kind experience. I worked with curator Masum Momaya on the upcoming exhibition Beyond Bollywood: Indian Americans Shape the Nation, as well as the development team. This provided me with a rich and well rounded intern experience. Working with both the curator and development staff, I was able to see that no matter how much they differ; one could not exist without the other. With each day came a new opportunity to learn, whether it was working on image licensing forms, attending meetings, or assisting with fundraising outreach. It is rewarding to know that I was able to contribute to Beyond Bollywood, an exciting, relevant, and important exhibition.

In addition to my internship duties, my research project focused on the personal reactions of Asian Pacific Americans during the 2012 Presidential and Congressional elections. My research was based on surveys, polls, news articles, reports, interviews, and panel discussions. Being an APAC intern allowed me to attend various panel discussions and events where I was able to conduct interviews to supplement my analysis and research.

APAC fosters a community of growth and innovation that allowed me to understand how each role in this organization is necessary. I learned about how the Smithsonian Institution impacts not only Washington D.C., but the world at large. This internship was an invaluable experience that allowed me to see the direct impact of my hard work and dedication within the APA community.

Standard