$74,872.00 to $97,333.00 / Per Year
January 18, 2013
This position is located in the Asian Pacific American Center (APAC), Smithsonian Institution (SI). APAC produces educational programs, exhibitions and research about the Asian Pacific American (APA) experience and works in partnership with museums and centers across the Smithsonian and beyond to enrich collections and activities about the APA experience. The purpose of the position is to serve as Curator for digital and emerging media and for APA digital and emerging media.
The employee conceives, conceptualizes, develops and implements programmatic content for the Asian Pacific American Center digital and emerging media initiatives, including social media activities. The employee also develops and maintains partnerships with other Smithsonian units as they relate to curating and digitizing exhibitions, collections, research projects, and public programs about Asian Pacific American history, art and culture.
- Curates digital exhibitions, digital collections and digital public programming about the Asian Pacific American experience and related fields.
- Conducts and produces research about Asian Pacific American history, art and culture, digital cultures and archiving.
- Conceptualizes, writes, and edits publications across platforms (print, digital video, social media, podcasts, etc.).
- Supervises the Asian Pacific American Center Multimedia Producer, interns, volunteers, contractors related to the Asian Pacific American Center’s digital and emerging media presence; performs managerial functions such as scheduling of work, leave approval and disapproval, technical work direction, recommending awards, etc.
- Demonstrates experience in program management, administration, technical support and staff supervision in a computing environment involving multiple facilities and varying disciplinary requirements.
- Ability to communicate orally with enthusiasm, diplomacy and tact and cultural understanding in order to obtain and achieve optimal collaborative collegiality.
- Degree in an applicable subject-matter/related field OR
- Combination of education and experience – courses equivalent to a major in a related field, plus appropriate experience or additional education. OR
- Four years of experience that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study in a related field.
How You Will Be Evaluated:
Your resume will be used to evaluate your experience, education, and/or training that address the competencies below:
- Ability to apply superior mastery knowledge of the design, prototyping and the management of complex and interactive websites, including visual design and branding across multiple platforms in order to develop interactive technology standards, scripting and programming languages.
- Ability to effectively supervise subordinate staff, maintaining positive working relationships with subordinates, as well as external stakeholders.
- Ability to conceptualize, write and edit publications across platforms and fields (print, digital video, social media, podcasts, etc.) in order to secure needed programmatic resources.
- Ability to work collaboratively and to serve effectively as a team leader.
- Ability to serve as a liaison to various offices as well as external organizations and agencies to develop and implement digital collaborations with regard to the Asian American communities.