Staff Update

Staff Update: 2012 Smithsonian Mentoring Program

Participants of the 2012 Smithsonian Mentoring Program with Secretary Clough. Click for more photos.

Krista Aniel joined the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center (APAC) in June 2009, as the Program Assistant (Outreach), shortly after graduating from Georgetown University with her Master of Arts in Liberal Studies degree emphasis in Social and Public Policy. She organizes public programs and special events by coordinating activities with appropriate divisions throughout Smithsonian museums  and is a buyer for APAC with a full range of procurement tasks.  In addition, Krista serves on more than a dozen Smithsonian inter-unit councils and  strategic planning committees and is the unit internship coordinator.  Krista also holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Humanities from Brigham Young University.

As a Mentee in the 2012 Smithsonian Mentoring Program, Krista was competitively selected to receive nine months of leadership and professional development training with twenty-nine other peers from across the Institution. Krista describes her experience in the following words:

The 2012 Smithsonian Mentoring Program has greatly enriched my professional development by teaching me how to build a successful career path. I enjoyed interacting with my mentor Joan Boudreau, Museum Curator of the Graphic Arts Collection at the National Museum of American History, and networking with experienced professionals on a monthly basis. I had the unique opportunity to attend formal trainings, behind-the-scenes tours of museums and the National Zoo, and leadership development meetings that featured Secretary Wayne Clough and other senior staff. I am grateful that APAC supported me through this extraordinary experience and hope that the mentoring program will continue to inspire and develop future leaders.

Standard