General APA

BookDragon Turns 3!

BookDragon Blog

By Terry Hong (BookDragon Blogger and former APAP Media Arts Consultant)

Three years ago, BookDragon officially debuted as almost a dare. The APA Program’s founding director, Dr. Franklin Odo, bugged me on and off for years about compiling my book-related articles into a single place. So I got the idea that I might throw everything up somewhere, somehow on the world wide web… although being a Luddite, that was no small task. Thanks to the facile (and oh so very patient) multimedia producer at the time, Ricky Leung, BookDragon miraculously became the literary home of all my bookish ramblings…

And, today, BookDragon is actually three years old! I’ve been told time passes more quickly out there in the virtual world, ahem!

What a year of reading around the globe this has been! Some favorite adult reads include Julie Otsuka’s The Buddha in the Attic, Krys Lee’s Drifting House, and Xinran’s Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love. Among the kiddie titles, I couldn’t extol any more the virtues of The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Save Families by Susan L. Roth and Cindy Trumbore. My manga-addicted self swears Daytripper by Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá was the most spectacular graphic read.

My favorite literary news of the year was definitely yesterday’s announcement that Kyung-sook Shin became the first woman to win the Man Asian Literary Prize, considered Asia’s most prestigious award for writers, for her Stateside debut, Please Look After Mom (she’s already a literary rock star in her native Korea with many titles) which was published April 3, 2011. Mom is surely one of the best books I’ve read in years, and I gave Shin a starred review in Library Journal (December 15, 2010 issue). Then I heard about the uproar over an NPR review by Maureen Corrigan that aired April 5, 2011 ["kimchee-scented Kleenex fiction"] … be sure to check out the even more interesting comments. In spite of such detractors, Mom did (deservedly) hit the bestseller lists and garner quite an impressive list of citations and awards.

Surely, I have so much to celebrate this year! Literally!

In addition to all the memorable books, thanks even more so to all my fellow readers. Please keep visiting BookDragon via blog, Facebook, or Twitter at @SIBookDragon. Hopefully we’ll be sharing multi-culti book news for years to come!

Standard

2 thoughts on “BookDragon Turns 3!

1. franklin odo says:

Well, it did take a bit to convince Terry to do BookDragon. But perseverance trumps everything else, it seems, so I’m happy to congratulate her on this longevity. BookDragon has garnered honors and participants; keep this going, Terry!

• What a surprise to find YOU here, Boss! And really, don’t I always (uhh … eventually …) do whatever you tell me to do?!!! And did you just give me another order? Well, I suppose there’s a reason we still call you Bossman!!

Thank you, Boss. I’m taking a little bow, even!