Event, Filipino American, Film

Film Screening of Amigo with Director John Sayles

Amigo Film Screening with Director John Sayles

Amigo Film Screening with Director John Sayles. Click to enlarge flyer.

October 20, 2011
6 — 9 p.m.

Rasmuson Theater
National Museum of the American Indian
4th and Independence Ave, SW
Washington, DC 20560
Google Map

Metro: L’Enfant Plaza
Film Run Time: 124 minutes

Related Traveling Exhibition:
Singgalot: The Ties That Bind

Free and open to the public.

To commemorate Filipino American History Month, the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Program presents a screening of the film Amigo and a conversation with the director: the critically acclaimed and Oscar-nominated John Sayles.

Amigo, the 17th feature film from Sayles, provides an optic on the easily forgotten history of the Philippine-American War, a short lived but brutal war that claimed the lives of about 4,000 Americans and between 200,000 to 600,000 Filipinos. Amigo stars legendary Filipino actor Joel Torre as Rafael, a village mayor caught in the crossfire of the war, and Academy-Award winner, Chris Cooper, as U.S. Colonel Hardacre. Filipino American scholar Theo Gonzalves, a professor of American Studies at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, will moderate the conversation with Sayles.

Click here to download a PDF of the flyer.

Discussion moderator Theo Gonzalves and director of "Amigo," John Sayles.

Standard

9 thoughts on “Film Screening of Amigo with Director John Sayles

1. Ira Coover says:

Got to hear John Sayles talk about the movie and other things, also got his autograph. Unfortunately the movie kept on breaking down and I was worried about catching the metro back to my auto so I didn’t get a chance to see the movie. Luckily a small movie theater in Wilmington, DE close to my home is playing it all weekend so I’ll get another chance.

2. Pingback: Theo Gonzalves, American Studies, to Moderate Discussion | UMBC Insights Weekly

3. Manang Mini Naldo says:

Many Americans do not even know that the Philippines was once a Commonwealth of the United States. Kudos for the Philippine Embassy and the Smithsonian for sponsoring this. My great grandfather was El Presidente – of Donsol, Sorsogon. He was Don Rodrigo Abitria. You can google his name and you will find some historical documents about him in the 1900′s

4. Ira Coover says:

As a student of Filipino history and a fan of John Sayes I’ve been waiting to see this movie. I thought I was going to be able to see it this summer but it was only shown at theaters where there was a large Filipino community, which doesn’t include Delaware. “Can’t wait!”

• Frederick Scott says:

Ira, I’m also a student of Filipino history, I specialize in the years 1898-1946. Is it possible that we are also related? Are you related to Ira Day Coover of Mechanicsburg PA? He would have been your great great grandfather, or uncle.